Saturday, June 17, 2006

Aussie Rules



Aussie Rules by Jill Shalvis

I have to admit that when I first began reading this book it reminded me of one of Jill’s earlier works Love is in the Air from the Paris or Bust anthology, as they both take place in an airport with a spunky heroine and quick-witted hero, but I was soon assured that this was not a re-hash but a great story all on it’s own. Bo Black, the sexiest hero to come along, arrives at the North Beach Airport looking for what he believes is rightfully his. Melanie Anderson, aka Mel, is the owner of Anderson Air and the custodian of not only the airport, but the caretaker of the group of people who work there. She believes that the airport belongs to Sally, the woman that took her under her wing and provided her with the unconditional love that she so sorely lacked in her home life. She also believes that Bo is a con artist just like his father and she is very suspicious of his motives for returning to town. Bo believes that Sally was the swindler and that her actions led to his dad’s death. He has the deed to the airfield and intends to take it over. He didn’t count on Mel and her unflinching loyalty to Sally and the people around her. Together they work to find the truth and along the way they fall in love. Aussie Rules is a wonderful book full of humor and romance. It’s the kind of work that I have come to expect from Ms. Shalvis and she does not disappoint. Once again she gives us secondary characters and plotlines that enhances the main story instead of detracts, as happens in a lot of romances. It’s an enjoyable journey down the rocky road to love – get ready for a bumpy ride. If you want a good romantic comedy, then this is the book for you. Highly recommended.

UPDATE: 2007 RITA for Best Contemporary Single Title Romance Finalist

4 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger Christa said...

I didn't have Paris or Bust to compare it to. I didn't read Paris or Bust until two days after(I know that's unforgivable, whip me with a wet noodle).
From when the note was delivered and Mel and Dimi figured out is was comoany stationary, I thought it was him do the threanting but I thought he was a knowing accomplice of Sally's.
Even though the story was about Mel and Bo, I loved the slow devlopement of a relationship between Dimi and Danny.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

I just found out my library is getting in a copy of this, I'm so excited and looking forward to reading it!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Denise McDonald said...

my TBR just keeps getting bigger and bigger...

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, thanks for a great review! Love the site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home